Thursday, June 2, 2011

Cinco de Mayo 2011

I have celebrated my fair share of Cinco de Mayos growing up in AZ. We have got hands down the BEST Mexican restaurants here. I like to make my own versions at home and this Cinco de Mayo was one night that I did just that. Well, with the help of my husband of course! By no means do I think I am some wonderful and authentic Mexican chef. But this meal is delicious so I wanted to share. You can also alter the ingredients to your own liking. There are many possibilities here.

Lauren was in Tucson staying with my parents so it was dinner for two!

What we used: 2 organic breasts of chicken from Sprouts, a can of diced green chiles, 4 whole tomatoes, 4 avocados, 1 bunch of cilantro, minced garlic, 1 lime, 1 yellow onion, 1 packet of Simply Organic fajita mix from Sprouts, small flour tortillas, cheddar and pepper jack cheese, lettuce, refried beans, tortilla chips, salsa, sour cream or Greek yogurt and your drink of choice.

1. Start by grilling those delicious and juicy breasts.
2. While the chicken is grilling get the rest of your ingredients ready.
* Chop up a handful of cilantro and set aside. (I don't chop the stems.)
* Chop up a yellow onion and put in a pan with enough vegetable oil to coat the bottom.
* Once the onion is cooked add the can of diced chiles, one diced tomato, tsp. or more of minced garlic, salt and pepper.


3. After the breasts are finished grilling cut them into bite sized pieces.


4. Now you can add the chicken and cilantro to your pan.


5. Mix all the ingredients in the pan so that the chicken is now coated.
6. Get out the packet of Fajita mix and follow the instructions on the packet.

7. Let the mixture come to a boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes. This really helps all the flavors soak into the chicken.
8. While the chicken is simmering it is time to make the guacamole! This is how we like to make ours: Scoop out four avocados and mash them up to your liking. Add 2 chopped up tomatoes, about a handful of chopped cilantro, a few Tbls. of minced garlic, (we LOVE garlic so you don't have to add this much), juice from one lime and some salt and pepper.



9. You could put the chicken mixture in a taco shell, wrap it up in a tortilla to make a burrito, have it on a tostada shell or just eat it straight. I felt like making a mini cheese crisp so I shredded some cheddar and pepper jack cheese and then popped the tortilla into the toaster over for a couple of minutes.



10. Time to eat!! Add the chicken mixture to the cheese crisp and fold to make a taco, add lettuce, tomato and sour cream or yogurt for toppings, add beans, guacamole, salsa, and chips to your plate. Voila! Yummy on a plate!!!



I didn't feel like making a whole pitcher of margaritas so I cheated and bought the coolers. Bottoms up!

No comments: