Thursday, June 2, 2011

My Big Fat Greek Easter



I am not Greek Orthodox but I am Greek! My dad is 100% Greek and is among the first generation to be born in America. If you have not seen the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding you need to stop whatever you are doing right now, go buy or rent the movie and be prepared to laugh your head off. This movie is pretty much spot on in showing how some Greeks in America live. Of course it is Hollywood, and a bit much at times, but it is still hilarious and so true. The whole feasting and huge gatherings is right up our alley. We love to be hospitable and feed you!

This year Greek Easter and American Easter fell on the same day. Usually, because of the Greek calendar, they are not the same day. Something to do with the moon and blah, blah, blah. My aunt and uncle hosted and they got a whole lamb and spit roasted it. Disclaimer: IF YOU DO NOT EAT MEAT YOU WILL NOT LIKE MY PHOTO. But for all of you who love to chow down on meat, please enjoy the photo. The lamb turned out absolutely tender and juicy. If you have not had lamb cooked the proper way you probably didn't like the way it tasted. Forget the mint jelly people! Garlic, garlic and more garlic is what you need! Besides lamb, we feasted on Spanakopita, Greek salad with lots of kalamata olives and feta cheese, green beans with artichokes and onions, roasted potatoes and tzatziki sauce on the side for dipping the lamb in. My mouth is watering right now just thinking about it all! The meal was incredible, as usual, and we had a wonderful afternoon and evening together.

My mom and dad with my girls.

No comments: